Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: altec 3156 drivers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member altecjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2006
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ive owned many different altec speakers in the past. I just bought four 3156 speakers and got them for around $100.00 each on ebay, my brother owns a set of eight and swears by them. Are they any good? I know they can handle high power (200 watts) so I assume they are a little less efficent, Ive never really heard much on them before. I run 4-15 inch evw15's at the moment, will these altecs be compairable? I have altec 511e horns with 291-16b drivers with altec x-overs. I had 416 woffers before but they couldnt handle the steady pounding of my 2300 mac so thats how I ended up with the ev's. IM happy with the evs but would like my system to be all altec once again! Am I going to be disappointed with the 3156's?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member altecjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2006
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How do the 3156 compare to the 416's?

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I doubt if you will be unhappy with them in the least.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The 416 is more sensitive and, to me, sounds better, but it has less power handlign capability.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member altecjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2006
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know what you mean, I did lose a little something when I removed the 416s from my system. The problem was it didnt take much to bottom them out so I would end up with that low gurgling sound at low volume. I wounder maybe I should hook them into my system as a mid bass with a high mf cap so they can take the power better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.